One of the core missions of APSA is to advocate for the entire spectrum of physician scientist training. Transitioning through the resident, fellow, and junior faculty career stages are the leakiest part of the physician scientist pipeline.
This group is faced with unique challenges such as pressures for clinical productivity, starting a lab/research portfolio in a challenging funding environment, competition with full time PhD scientists, and difficulties negotiating protected research
time in part due to mal-aligned economic incentives from the clinical world.
This committee was created as a supportive community for physician-scientists at these stages of training and to help address obstacles they may be facing.
- Webinar 6/20/2020 - AI/Big Data in Medicine Interactive Session with Eric Topol, MD, Vivian S Lee, MD, PhD, MBA, Olivier Elemento, PhD, Anthony Chang, MD, MPH, MBA, MS: View Webinar Recording
- Moderators: Jennifer M Kwan, MD, PhD; Evan Noch, MD, PhD; Dania Daye, MD, PhD
- Article - 04/2020: "Addressing the Physician-Scientist Leaky Pipeline: Early Career Physician Scientist Initiative & Insights on Fostering Physician-Scientists at Yale School of Medicine from Dean Robert Alpern, MD"
by Drs. Jennifer Kwan and Evan Noch
- Webinar - 01/2020 on Scientist Careers/Roles in Industry and Biotech
View Webinar Recording
- Research RVUs Project: Study to identify good practices for successful physician scientists at research institutions, e.g. How deans/dept heads incentivize research, where funds come from, outcomes on faculty retention, etc.
- Prospective Longitudinal Study of Graduating Residents/Fellows and Jr Faculty: Evaluate factors that enabled graduating residents/fellows and Jr faculty to either maintain a position in research versus factors that lead to these individuals
leaking out of pipeline
- Annual Meeting 2020 Discussions: Current state of affairs on supporting early career physician scientists with speakers Francis Collins, MD, PhD (NIH); Kay Lund, PhD (NIH); Kirsten Bibbins-Domingo, MD, PhD (UCSF); Sindy Escobar Alvarez, PhD (Doris Duke Charitable Foundation); David Hafler, MD (Yale School of Medicine); and Nancy J. Brown, MD (Yale School
View Webinar Recording
- Other topics planned for AM and regional meetings: Contract/salary negotiation, grant writing, billing and conflict negotiation, careers in academia, careers in industry/government