APSA's Standing Committees are always hard at work for physician-scientist trainees. See what they were up to in January below. Are you interested in serving on a Standing Committee? Fill out a leadership application!
- Planning for the 2014 Regional Meetings has begun! Locations of for Southeast (Emory University) and Midwest (Case Western Reserve University) are confirmed. Locations for the West, South, and Northeast are in the works.
- A few of the panels we will have at the 2014 Annual Meeting in Chicago include the following:
- The Intertwining Growth of Women and Medicine in the 21st Century
- Social Outreach of the Physician-Scientist
- Global Health
- Post-Graduate Opportunities
- Fundraising efforts continue as we reach out to numerous companies.
- An APSA promotional video is in the works.
- We need more members on the Finance Committee! If you’re interested, fill out a leadership application.
- APSA would like to have Institutional Representatives at every institution. If your school doesn’t have one and you are interested in serving as one, please contact Lauren Huckaby.
- Institutional memberships to APSA can help your school save money. Contact us (or have your Program Director do so) if you are interested in this.
- $100 grants are available to host APSA events at your institution. Please contact Lauren Huckaby to receive an application.
- APSA partners with numerous specialty societies, and many of these societies offer travel awards for APSA members to attend their meetings. Keep an eye out for these announcements on our main webpage. A few of the societies offering travel awards include:
- Committee members have sent out surveys regarding NIH F30 fellowships and other issues relevant to MD/PhD training, and are analyzing and compiling these results.
- At the APSA Annual Meeting we will have a Policy Panel with a number of noteworthy panelists. Stay tuned for more information about this.
- An initiative of the committee has long been to try to extend the number of allowable years between when an MD/PhD trainee takes his or her USMLE Step tests. This is particularly relevant for the MD/PhD trainees working on a PhD in the social sciences and/or humanities.
Public Relations Committee
- Work on the 2014 Annual Meeting newsletter is underway. If you’d like to write an article for it, please contact Peter Mittwede.
- We are in the process of updating the portion of the website with information about MD/PhD Programs and Research Residency Training Programs in the United States.
- A new logo for APSA is in the works! Look for this at the APSA Annual Meeting.
- Social Sciences & Humanities – We are working on a panel for the Annual Meeting.
- MD/DO – A survey has been sent out to single-degree students regarding APSA, and the results are being analyzed.
- Resident – A survey has been sent out to residents regarding APSA, and another wave of invitations will be sent soon.
- We are working on the creation of a panel at the APSA Annual Meeting that will be geared toward undergraduate students.
- A session at the Annual Meeting will be held where undergraduate students will be paired with physician-scientist mentors. Stay tuned for more information about this.